A saggy neck, or sometimes referred to as “turkey neck” is a common concern of aging. As we age, our collagen production decreases. Because of this, your skin loses its elasticity. In turn, the muscles in your neck begin to weaken as well.
What is a neck lift?
A neck lift is a treatment that can involve any or all of the following – surgically remove excess fat from the neck, tighten loose skin and tighten the muscle. This addresses age-related wrinkling and creasing in this area, and provides a smoother, slimmer profile.
A neck lift is usually performed in conjunction with a facelift, cheek lift, or liposuction.
When to Consider a Neck Lift
You should consider getting a neck lift if:
- you want to improve your jawline
- you have excess skin and wrinkles on your neck
Pros and Cons of Getting a Neck Lift
- A neck lift will improve the appearance of your neck and jawline.
- It can smooth skin and give a more youthful appearance
- It is a relatively short recovery period with minimal incisions/scarring
- Your neck may feel tighter than wanted for a few weeks after a neck lift.
- Bruising and swelling can take weeks to months to resolve.
- It can make your other signs of aging more noticeable if only your neck is treated.
How is a neck lift done?
With most neck lift procedures, incisions are made under your chin and/or behind your ears, depending on the procedure that you have chosen. The platysma muscle is tightened and sewn together. The excess skin and fat on your neck are removed if needed, while the tissue and skin are repositioned and secured with sutures. Incisions are then closed, and drains may be placed before your wounds are bandaged.
How do I prepare for a neck lift procedure?
On your first consultation, your doctor will provide you with the appropriate information and answer any questions that you may have in mind. Discuss with your doctor your medical history for a safe procedure.
Before having the procedure, your doctor may ask you to:
- Avoid smoking for at least half of a year before the surgery
- Avoid taking aspirin, certain anti-inflammatory drugs, and some herbal medications that can increase the bleeding
- Stay hydrated since it is very important before and after surgery for a safe recovery
- Start on medical-grade skincare to prepare your skin and give you the best possible outcome
A neck lift is an easy procedure performed on an outpatient basis. You will have general anesthesia and will need a responsible person to stay with you 24 hours after the procedure. You will return to the clinic the next day for evaluation and dressing changes.
All surgical procedures have risks but luckily, severe complications from a neck lift are unusual.
Some possible complications with any surgical procedure can include:
- Adverse reaction to anesthesia
- Hematoma or seroma (an accumulation of blood or fluid under the skin)
- Changes in sensation
- Allergic reactions
Aftercare and Recovery
You will most likely have to bruise after the surgery. You may immediately feel some tightness and numbness in the area. Bruising will resolve within two weeks, however, some swelling and numbness may persist for several months.
You will receive detailed instructions from your practitioner about your post-surgery care. This includes information about drains (if they have been placed), compression or garment use, normal symptoms that you may experience, and potential signs of complications. Your doctor will also let you know when you can return to work and your normal daily activities. The recovery period of a neck lift varies depending on the surgical approach and the health and age of the patient.
It is essential that you follow all the post-surgery care instructions provided by your doctor.
How long will the results last?
The results of your neck lift surgery are usually long-lasting and will give an improved appearance for years. However, stress, poor health, and environmental factors, such as sun exposure, may decrease the longevity of these results. You should attend all follow-up visits as recommended Do not hesitate to contact your doctor if you have any questions or concerns.
To improve the appearance of your neck and minimize saggy skin, a neck lift may be the right option for you. To learn more about this procedure, visit Aesthetic Center of Plastic Surgery and see all the services that we offer. Schedule your consultation and contact us today!